Helping Others While Building Your Professional Credentials
A FLICKERS Creative Impulse Award Competition
(click here to print out a hard copy, PDF)
- ELIGIBILITY: In the United States, the Competition is open only to individual legal residents and legal visitors of the United States and the District of Columbia. The following are not eligible: employees, contractors, directors and officers of the Seven Day PSA Competition (7DAYPSA), its parent (Flickers: Rhode Island International Film Festival), subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Competition agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Competition (collectively, "Competition Parties"), and the immediate family members of each (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or "step" of each) and those living in their same households (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Competition). Outside of the United States, residency requirements may vary. Void where prohibited.
- TO ENTER: To register for the Project in the United States, follow the instructions found on www.7daypsa.org. Registration is based on a first-come first-served basis and space is limited. Registration fees are $120. Registration begins 8 weeks before a competition and closes 2 weeks before the competition.
- If an agency team ("Entrant") must withdraw from the Competition, refunds will be paid on the following schedule: Notify the 7DAYPSA Competition of withdrawal more than 30 days before competition, you will be refunded $80; Notify the 7DAYPSA Competition of withdrawal between 15 and 30 days before the competition, you will be refunded $50; Notify the 7DAYPSA Competition of withdrawal between 7 and 14 days before competition, you will be refunded $30; No refunds for withdrawal less than 7 days before competition.
- Some of the events (e.g., Jump In, Drop Off, Screening/Awards Night) may be held in "21 years of age or older" locations. Every effort will be made to ensure that any under 21 teams will not be affected adversely. Entrants may wish to consider having at least one member of its team be 21 years or older.
- Entrants will be required to sign the standard 7DAYPSA Agency Producer's Agreement. If under the legal age of majority in your state of residence, your parent or legal guardian must sign it on your behalf. A copy of this agreement is available at www.7daypsa.org.
- All costs associated with the production of the Entry are solely the responsibility of the Entrant.
- Eligible Entries will be judged based on the judging criteria stated below.
- Entrants must be present at the designated times at the designated Event to participate.
- Basic Requirement of the Project: At the Jump-In Event, Entrants will draw a ‘client” package and be given exactly 7 days to make a public service announcement (an "Entry"). Limited broadcast rights and internet rights to the Entrant’s completed PSA will be granted to the “client” organization without compensation to the “agency” team, the Seven Day PSA Competition, partners or affiliates. See www.7daypsa.org for details.
- PROJECT TERMS OF SUBMISSION: By submitting an Entry into this Competition, each Entrant warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she is entering in this Competition, including, without limitation, the video or digital recording, and the performance contained in each Entry, with the exception of any assets provided by the 7DAYPSA Competition for use by Entrants in connection with this Project. Each Entrant further warrants and represents that the Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry to grant the rights to the Project Parties described in these Official Rules, and will submit copies of such permissions to the Competition Parties. By submitting an Entry, Entrant agrees to the Official Rules, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the 7DAYPSA Competition, Competition Parties and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Competition Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Competition Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant's Entry materials in this Competition, or the Entrant's conduct during and in connection with this Competition, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless 7DAYPSA Competition and the Competition Parties from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of 7DAYPSA Competition or the Competition Parties infringes on the rights of Entrant's work as contained in any Entry.
- As a condition of entry, participants must agree to the Agency Producer's Agreement, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and 7DAYPSA Competition with respect to the use of Entries by 7DAYPSA Competition. Entries that do not include all required information and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements will be considered void and will not be considered in this Project.
- Entrants may compete in more than one city during the year of participation. However, an Entrant is not eligible to be the Local/City Winner in more than one city in the same year of participation.
- If any group of individuals elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as the agent of the group (“Agency Producer”) to enter the Competition, agree to these Official Rules, sign the Agency Producer's Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither the 7DAYPSA Competition nor any of the Competition Parties are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising out of or related to the Project.
- SELECTION OF WINNERS: Entries will be judged by a process in which a qualified panel of judges ("Judges") will evaluate each eligible Entry based on the following judging criteria:
- Creativity (40%)
- Technical Merit (30%)
- Serving the Client (30%)
PSA’s must be informational and may not be a direct appeal for monies or endorse a political candidate or issue. The Top Entry in each city will be declared the winner. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based on the highest score in the first Judging Criteria, continuing thereafter to each Judging Criteria in order, as needed to break the tie. Entrants agree that the 7DAYPSA Competition has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Project and that all decisions of 7DAYPSA Competition are final and binding.
- ONE (1) CITY WINNER PRIZE: The top Entry in each city will be awarded a trophy; will be screened at the Annual FLICKERS Creative Impulse “7DAYPSA” Awards Weekend (date and location to be announced); and shall be eligible for the award of "Best 7DAYPSA of the Year".
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rules which are final and binding in all respects. The Competition is governed by the laws of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, USA, and all claims must be resolved in the State courts or the Federal courts located in Rhode Island.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Seven Day PSA Competition (7DAYPSA) or Competition Parties resulting from any user's participation in or attempt to participate in the Project or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Project. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the 7DAYPSA Competition or Competition Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Project: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Competition, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Project, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Competition. 7DAYPSA Competition and Competition Parties are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site is at user's own risk. The 7DAYPSA Competition and the Competition Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user's or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Competition use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. By participating in the Competition Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold 7DAYPSA Competition and Competition Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant's participation in the Competition.
- WINNERS: Winners will be posted online at www.7daypsa.org.
- PROJECT ORGANIZER: The Seven Day PSA Competition, FLICKERS: Rhode Island International Film Festival, Inc., PO Box 162, Newport Rhode Island 02840.
- FILMMAKING RULES: The following rules apply to each participating group/production team:
- The 7DAYPSA Competition will occur in cities around the country on different weeks throughout the year.
- The 7DAYPSA Competition will occur between a Thursday evening, Friday, evening and Saturday afternoon local time and the following Thursday evening, Friday evening, and Saturday afternoon local time. Agency teams will have the choice to draw their client at selected times on one of first three days. The Official 7 Day Time Period begins for the “Agency” team when the “Agency Producer” draws their client material.
- The participating group/team, known as an “Agency,” must complete its HD film/video work in time to deliver a 20 second version, a 30 second version, and a 60 second version of their PSA to a location to be announced, before their 7 day clock runs out.
- Only works that meet the deadline will be officially part of the competition. All films received on Saturday (on-time and late) will be screened.
B. During the official 7 day period, all creativity will take place, including but not limited to:
- Writing the script
- Costume/Set Design
- Sound Design
- Outputting to tape or other media
C. The only work to begin prior to the "Official 7 Day Time Period" is:
- Organizing Crew
- Organizing Cast
- Securing Equipment
- Scouting/Securing Locations
D. All footage must be shot within the 7 day time period of the project.
- No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
- Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the 2 day time period.
- Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has the rights to them. The photos do not need to be created during the 7 day time period.
E. Each participating group must have a representative at the official Jump-In Event of the Seven Day PSA Competition.
- At the event, each group will submit an Agency Producers Agreement, signed by the team leader.
- Each group will choose the client organization for their PSA in a random drawing.
- Each group will receive a client packet with information about their client organization.
- Each group leader and/or writers will have a chance to talk with a representative of their client organization.
G.All cast and crew must be volunteers and sign a 7DAYPSA RELEASE FORM.
H.Three finished versions of the same Public Service Announcement must be turned in and will be 20 seconds, 30 seconds and 60 seconds in duration—not including credits, black, tone, title cards, etc.
I.Credits at the end of each PSA are limited to a maximum of 60 seconds. The 60 seconds is considered additional to the length of the three 20, 30 & 60 second versions of the public service announcement, not including bar tone, black and title card.
J. Any type of video or film camera may be used, however, a maximum of only two cameras may be used.
K. Sound recordings and Sound Effects: Sound recorders are allowed in addition to the two camera limit above. As with music, pre-recorded sound effects are allowed, but you must have rights to use them.
L. For the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, the finished film/video must be in NTSC.
The PSA must be submitted on a DVD.
We recommend that each team submit two copies of the final PSA. If the Entry cannot be viewed on Seven Day PSA equipment, it may be disqualified.
M. Before the finished PSA begins, the tape should have:
- Title card with team name, date, city, title, & client, followed by a menu with three choices: “60 second version” “30 second version” & “20 second version.” Then, each version of your PSA should have:
- 5 seconds of bar tone
- 5 seconds of black
- A title card with: team name, date, city, title, and Client
- The 7DAYPSA logo / title card with: length (“60 second,” “30 seconds” or “20 seconds”), the title of the PSA, the name of the client, the “agency” name, and "This public service campaign produced for the 7DAYPSA Competition 2010. www.7DayPSA.org"
- 2 seconds of black
- The version of the PSA
- 2 seconds of black
- No more than 60 seconds of end credits maximum with: produced by “Entrant Agency Name and The 7DAYPSA Competition”
N. All films received on the evening of the deadline (on-time and late) will be screened, presuming they are eligible according to all other rules. To ensure the best screening of your film, please follow the instructions below, unless instructed differently by your City Producer:
- HD format 720x586
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- Sound levels should be relatively even throughout the PSA. (If your PSA has uneven sound or sound that peaks, it may be modified to protect the playback equipment.)
O. The producer/team leader for each “agency” group must submit a complete and signed paper copy of the Agency Producer's Agreement, at the Jump-In Event prior to being allowed to draw a “client.”
P. Each team must secure talent, crew, music releases and location releases, which must be turned in to the project organizers with the finished film/video. The film/video will not be screened before the 7DAYPSA Competition Organizers receive the signed releases.
Q. To be eligible for the Competition, Entries must be the original work of the Entrant; must not infringe third-party's rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations (including FCC broadcast regulations); and may not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned by the Entrant and/or 7DAYPSA). Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the 7DAYPSA, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate will be disqualified. 7DAYPSA reserves the right to make the final determination as to which Entries are eligible.
R. Participating groups are encouraged to work with a local composer and/or musicians to write and record music for the public service announcements. It is permissible for a participating group to use pre-recorded music; however the participating group must have the rights to any music used in its film and must provide a release for all music used.
S. The Entrant must submit an AGENCY PSA COMPLETION FORM with his/her completed entry, certifying adherence to all Official Rules, and include an AGENCY CAST & CREW LIST FORM, and all required RELEASE FORMS.
T. To be certified as an "Official 7DAYPSA," each participating group's film/video production must follow all rules herein. The 7DAYPSA Organizers reserve the right to screen only certified "Official 7DAYPSA."
U. No Entries (media or documents) will be returned.
V. The Seven Day PSA and Project Parties may, in their sole discretion, disqualify Entries deemed to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
W. All certified "Official 7DAYPSA’s" are eligible to compete for the title of “Grand Prize Best 7DAYPSA” in its city. Other official local award categories are: “2nd Place PSA,” “3rd Place PSA,” “Best Writing,” “Best Editing,” “Best Director,” “Best Cinematography,” “Best Animation” (only awarded if animation is used), “Best Actor/Actress,” “Best Voice Over,” and “Official Client Selection.” Only those entries that are awarded an “Official Client Selection” may list there PSA as a professional broadcast credit all others must list their PSA as a competition award winner.
X. Each local “Best 7DAYPSA” are eligible to compete for title of a “National Best 7DAYPSA 2010.” Panels of independent judges will determine the winners..
Y. RIGHTS TO FINISHED PSA ENTRY: By submitting a completed PSA entry, each Agency Team transfers all rights for the completed PSA entry to the 7DAYPSA. Client organizations will receive broadcast and internet rights for their selected PSA’s from the 7DAYPSA without paying any compensation to 7DAYPSA as per the “7DAYPSA Client Organization Agreement.” Agency teams retain the right to use their PSA on their demo reels only and may not disseminate the PSA (edited or unedited) in any media including the internet without express written permission of the 7DAYPSA.
Z. The 7DAYPSA Organizers may add to or amend these rules at any time prior to the beginning of the 7 day time period.
• 7 Day PSA • click here
• ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS • click here (coming)
• OUR JUDGES • click here (coming)
Please open, print and fill out the following forms:
• ENTRY FORM • click here
• RELEASE FORM • click here
• AGENCY PRODUCER FORM • click here
• AGENCY PSA COMPLETION FORM • click here
• CHECK LIST • click here
• AGENCY CAST & CREW LIST • click here
• CLIENT AGREEMENT • click here
• MEDIA SPONSOR AGREEMENT • click here
• LOCAL HOST ORGANIZATION AGREEMENT • click here
• ABOUT THE CREATIVE IMPULSE AWARDS • click here
• SPONSORS • see below
FLICKERS: Rhode Island International
Mailing: P.O. Box 162, Newport, Rhode Island 02840 (United States)
Street Address: 36 Rhode Island Avenue, Newport, RI 02840
Office: 83 Park Street, Suite 1, Providence, RI 02903
Tel/Fax: (401) 861-4445 / 490-6735
and special thanks to Debra Gagnon for her event photography!
2010 Rhode Island International Film Festival®.
All Rights Reserved.